Thursday, May 14, 2015

Awareness For The Unknown



Tonight I want to raise a little awareness for people like me with an unknown primary cancer.  Not knowing what kind of cancer you have can be scary.  I know, having cancer is scary enough, period.  How do you know you’re receiving the right treatment?  Will you ever find out what kind of cancer you have?  Would it make a difference?  Could it save your life?  I’ll use myself as an example.  I have widely metastatic cancer.  This means the cancer is in multiple organs in multiple places.  My cancer is in my liver, lungs, and throughout my lymph nodes.  But it is not lung cancer and it is not liver cancer and it is not lymphoma.  My cancer is CUP, Carcinoma of unknown primary, because my original tumor has not been found.  They can tell that it is aggressive, but not where it started.

I believe I am getting the best care possible in this situation.  My oncologist is very wise.  She has me on two types of chemo:  carboplatin and taxol.  Together, these have a “blast effect,” since we don’t have a specific type of cancer to target.  This chemo attacks everything.  As you can see, it’s working wonderfully!  I chose not to fear the “unknown.”  I feel like God has even more room to work in the mystery.  I am very curious though, and would like to know what kind of cancer it is.  The lymph node that was removed for my original biopsy is still being studied.  So maybe one day.  If you find yourself in this situation, know you are not alone.  This happens sometimes and it does not doom you.  There is always hope!

God already knows what kind of cancer it is, and he is doing work.  He knew this before I was even born.  When we completely put our trust in Him, there are no limits to what He can do.


Proverbs 3:5-8
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; 
fear the Lord and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Whitney thank you for sharing your story. It's amazing watching God at work in your life. I saw a quote I hope to hang on a wall in my home "Prayer changes Everything" how we all need that reminder to run always to Jesus and cling to Him! Blessings to you dear sister. Sending love from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that Tanya! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say hi and thank you, Whitney. Thinking about you is helping me get through my treatment. Been praying for you, girl! I hope they do find your primary so you can know. Somehow, knowing what's going on in our bodies makes us feel better. But we will have HOPE no matter!! You continue to be a great inspiration and example of Faith. Bless you and thank you again! Melissa R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! Thank you so so much for your prayers! Yes I would love to know what's going on in there! Absolutely, we always have hope! Continued prayers for you, God bless!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your testimony and story Whitney. I found the link to your blog on Facebook. I thank God for using you to encourage my heart today. What a bright shining light you are for Jesus. How much you exemplify what Faith in God is and what His Word says. Now faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen. The blessings of God rest upon you and thank you again for sharing. Prayerfully, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitney, I have this CUP as well and on the same treatment. I am going on treatment 6 and my liver tumor went down 20%. I was wondering if your lungs have gotten better. Mine seem to be staying the same. I would love to share information with you.
    Please email me at lori@lorimockson.com

    ReplyDelete