Tuesday, January 26, 2016

One of the hardest things to watch was Whit's face when she asked when the IV would be hooked up. It was her first evening home from the hospital and she had been unable to eat solid food since Christmas.  We told her there were no plans to hook up an IV unless she requested it.  The reasons for this are complicated and difficult to discuss.  What it boiled down to was that it would prolong what could be an agonizing death.  My God... my daughter was going to starve to death in front of our eyes.  The Bible tells us that God will not place any more on us than we can bear, and I knew that we could not bear to see her waste away.  God bless those who have had to endure their loved ones in that condition. We couldn't let Taylor witness that, but we did not want to send Whitney to the hospice house or hospital unless we had to. Thankfully, that would not be the case. The immediate issue was liver failure. But what we did not expect was the advancement of the lung tumors.  Her breathing became rapid and laborious even with oxygen. It was a relief for the nurses to explain that she was not in any pain. Patrick was making sure of that.
Patrick was changing out her oxygen to use a full mask when her breathing suddenly stopped. It was 9:02 pm. I was standing by his side but had turned away in conversation...it happened that suddenly.  Ramona and Ryan were there, as were many family members and close friends. I thank them all for being there...we needed them. Somehow, I believe her Spirit had left long before.
For me to actually believe that is a giant step from where my heart was years ago. I am reluctant to share that I was agnostic for about 16 years. I went to church with my family on Sunday mornings but I had lost touch with the faith of my youth. College had a lot to do with it as I was exposed to other religions, philosophy, and all the other -osophies and -ologies.  I would be 44  years old before I re-committed my life to God. But it was a necessary part of my walk because I think I would have become lukewarm if I had not fully committed to God with my heart, mind and soul.  Even in the times I thought I would slip into atheism, I never lost my genuine love for Christ and desire to be a Christian. I know that will not make sense to lots of folks.
Ironically, my anchor through all those years was a healing that I received on the night I got saved. A healing which was eluding my  daughter. It was undeniable...almost scary.  I could not with my best efforts explain it away. It was a gift God knew I needed to keep me when my faith would fail. I hold those who accept God totally by faith in the highest regard.
This is an important fact. Healing did not elude Whitney.  As I have written about earlier, the awful pain and the bout with vomiting blood she suffered in the early days of her diagnosis inexplicably left her days before she began chemo. She had taken herself off the pain meds as they were making her nauseous and unable to hold anything down. The pain, that had grown progressively worse for months, went away. Due to the effects of chemo, she would be tired and anemic in the months to follow but Whitney took absolutely no pain medication--except maybe a Tylenol-- until August when we had to return home from vacation.  Those pain free months allowed her to witness, write, fish, eat, conquer Clingman's dome, enjoy her family, and see Luke take his first steps. It was a miracle that I still can not explain--but miracles, by their nature, defy natural explanation.  These events could be easily overlooked in the chaos of it all as we were looking for the "big" miracle.
As her father, the "big" miracle would have been her total healing.  As a member of the human race, the big miracle would have been a cure. I still pray for a cure... as does everyone reading this, I'm sure. Whitney's story is but one of thousands.  Our story as her caregivers does not even touch the pain and sacrifice of the legion of caregivers out there. God bless the caregivers. And God help those who have no one to give that care.
I'm a firm believer in God's power to heal. But a cure would bypass the "complications" that can accompany  healing. For one, a relationship with Christ that is hinged on miracles is a shaky one.  If one is healed and another is not, we begin to question even more.  Was that one not worthy?  Was there sin?  Did we not do something right?  I can only speak to Whit's situation.  EVERYONE DID EVERYTHING RIGHT. God worked through your prayer. Your prayers healed Whitney in ways you could never know. Your prayers healed my family. Your prayers healed me.
  I've got a lot going on today so some of my ideas are scattered, etc...   Thank you for reading. This is not something I would have ever dreamed of doing had Whitney not started it...but it helps a lot.     










27 comments:

  1. Precious... A precious man, not previous. Darn autocorrect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I guess I was previously a man, too. heheh. thank you, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are posting about your family's experience. So many of us were praying for Whitney and I wondered how she had handled it when she realized her time on this earth was coming to an end. I am so happy to hear she was at peace with God's will and that she did not become bitter or fearful. What an example she set for her children and all who knew her. I appreciate your blogs because they are just as inspiring as Whitney's were. Lots of people have lost loved ones and didn't handle it well. I think you are helping people just as Whitney did. I believe she would be honored and proud that you are continuing what she started. May God bless you and your family. You hang in there - sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your posts it's easy to see how much you & Whitney are alike...thanks for the updates about your family. I can say I miss Whitney's posts so much and i bet she's super proud of you for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma'am. I hope she is..I was certainly proud of her.

      Delete
  5. I really needed that word Stacy. You're a writer. Your entire family is awesome. Your words inspire so many. Your daughters testimony and witness will continue forever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really needed that word Stacy. You're a writer. Your entire family is awesome. Your words inspire so many. Your daughters testimony and witness will continue forever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Claude. She loved you a lot.

      Delete
  7. What a powerful testimony to share with us all. Whitney continues to bring light to the world through her family. God bless you all. Prayers continue to be lifted for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for continuing to share on her blog. Her words, her smile. They are greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The missing part is coming in like a tide, but we'll keep our heads up. Thanks, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were blessed by Whitney's faith as she fought through her cancer. Her light shone brightly and brought many to Christ and caused others to develop a stronger walk. What a wonderful tribute to her for you to continue her blog. Prayers are still being said for all her family. Continue to F.R.O.G. Fully rely on God. In all things. Always. Please continue to share her family's journey as God works in each of your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for continuing to post! I miss Whitney's posts so much but think it's really amazing how you are continuing to share on her blog! As a reader, I grew to love Whitney & spent a lot of time in prayer for her. I wanted her to beat this so bad & was so sad to hear of her passing! Our baby boys are the same age & when my son took his first steps I recall thinking to myself I sure hope Whitney is well enough to experience this too. It's really heartwarming to hear that those pain free months allowed her that gift! You & your family remain in my prayers! May God bless & comfort you during this time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn. After his bath, I'd let Luke do the "streak" through the room where Whitney rested. He'd put on quite a show for her.

      Delete
  12. Stacy,
    You are quite the writer! I know you are "just a dad" speaking from your heart.
    Your love for your daughter comes out in volumes in your writings. Whitney touched many lives and we feel honored that you are continuing her blog. I know it is helping you heal these deep wounds. Please do keep us posted on your family, as you are all on my permanent prayer list!
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being on a permanent prayer list. Thanks, Addie

      Delete
  13. Because I've yet to say, please accept my sincere condolences. Whitney and I communicated once, when I invited her and her family to stay at my beach condo as, perhaps, a respite. Someone had extended that kindness to Dave, my husband, and I when he was battling cancer. There are similarities...Cathy, Dave's first wife, died after an extensive fight with cancer and when I met Dave, almost a year later, part of his grieving and healing process was to talk about it. He loved Cathy until the day he died but he also made room to love me; we were both blessed women. When Dave was diagnosed, I had an idea of what we were in for but God was gracious and Dave died of a heart attack shortly after being given "a year and a half" prognosis.
    I was raised in a Bible believing church, became a born again Christian early days and, in my middle age years, I became a devout Christian with faith that continues to build. That faith has stood me well in both the early days and when I buried Dave. The foundation of consolation God gave me is this...Dave made his peace with God on Monday morning, around 10 a.m. On Saturday morning he, literally, dropped dead of a massive heart attack which, I believe, was brought on by the 33 radiation treatments for Stage 4 left lung cancer.
    God is good. In the darkness, God is good and in the lightness, He shows His way.
    I read Whitney's obit which led me to your wife's maiden name. My dearest friend lives in MB, SC and also has that same last name. Her niece, Taylor, died two days before Christmas when she fell asleep at the wheel of her mother's car. What does all this mean? Thankfully, all the people I've mentioned are either in heaven or going; we'll meet the other side of the veil to join in the celebration in process.
    I'm not sure a day goes by, and it's been more than four years, that I don't whisper, "Dave, I MISS YOU." Would I have him back? No, because I know I'm not as wise as God and His way is perfect no matter how much it hurts.
    Whitney was on my prayer list and all her family still reside there. May God bless you with His unfailing love and give you the courage you need. love and prayers, Sandra
    P.S. Please forgive the scattered writing...sometimes it's hard to focus because of continued grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I recall your generous offer and it was deeply appreciated. Our schedules made it difficult to accept. It is evident that we share broken hearts for our loved ones. As I thanked my church for their support last Sunday morning I mentioned that we are a legion of broken hearts...but God can work miracles through them. Hardened hearts are no good for anyone. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Stacy, I tell people "in order to make me whole, God had to break my heart".

      Delete
  14. Thank you for keeping up with Whits blog...My prayers are with you ALL always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey my heart and prayers are still with you and your precious family. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and information about Whitney with us. Unlike what you may feel right now you are showing us how strong you and your family are right now. God Bless you all.

      Delete
  15. Whitney lives on through you...... She is smiling down on her earthly father. God bless you & your family. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete