Monday, August 17, 2015

Update: God is My Strength



Just posting a little update, as a lot has been going on during the last few weeks!  My little man, Luke, is now ONE year old.  My sweet girl, Taylor, will be starting the first grade on Thursday.  We took a vacation to Pigeon Forge a couple of weeks ago.  I love the mountains and our cabin was gorgeous.  We had to cut our stay short, however, because I started having intense pain in my ribs.  We drove 7 hours and went straight to the emergency room at Trident, so I could be checked for blood clots.  A chest CT and X-ray revealed that my chest was totally clear.  No clots, no tumors.  But there was a new 3 cm tumor on my liver.  Only the top of my liver was visible with the chest CT, so my oncologist ordered a PET scan to see if there was anymore cancer activity.  The PET scan revealed good news and bad news.  The good news is the cancer in my lungs is completely gone, the lymph nodes in my belly are fine, it's just the one tumor on my liver and the lymph nodes around my liver.  While it is disappointing that I didn't achieve a long remission, I am so, so happy that we're not dealing with a widespread cancer anymore.

Today I have started a new chemo regimen.  I'll have an infusion of oxaliplatin every 21 days and take capecitabine (a chemo pill) twice a day for 14 days.   Then I'll have a week off before my next infusion.  My oncologist felt this would be the most effective regimen for me because we believe that my cancer may have started somewhere in my gastrointestional tract.  We can't be sure though.  My daughter and I prayed this morning that God will work through this chemo and kill all lingering cancer.  I've had a rough time of it for these last few weeks and I am so ready to feel good again!

You know, when you lay there with very little strength in your body.  The devil will take that opportunity to tell you that you are weak.  You are only what your body is physically capable of.  However, this couldn't be further from the truth.  Our strength comes from within, and God is within us.  Yes our bodies may let us down, but God never will.  God is our strength and our hope.  I have hope for a future without cancer.  There is no need to worry about the time, God is always on time.  I need only be still and wait.

15 comments:

  1. I am so amazed by your strength and inner peace! You are truly an inspiration and a testimony to what real faith looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God loves you; God adores you. I am joyful that you truly know this fact. You are so right about time and our need to be still and know that He is God.
    Psalm 117:1-2 Praise the Lord, all you nations. Praise Him, all you people on earth. For He loves us with unfailing love; the Lord's faithfulness endures forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will just have to up that prayer time for you!!!! Don't give in to that ole devil...his promises mean nothing. God WILL see you through!!!! Amen!!!
    Do I hear an Amen!???!!!
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an amazing Lady and such an inspiration to my life! Thank you for sharing your journey! Love and prayers for you and yours continually.

    We wait in hope for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. Psalm 33:20

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitney, I agree. You are a true inspiration as well as a representation of true faith. Thank you for sharing. Praying for you as always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just sent a prayer up! All will be well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautifully written update. The last paragraph really spoke to me. Cancer is such an awful disease, but I am so happy for you that it is focused in one area and hopefully this chemo round can kill it once and for all. Thank you for being such an inspiration for all of us and I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to hear that there is no cancer in your lungs. I pray that the one in your liver responds well to the treatment and that you will have complete healing. God bless you and your family. Love and prayers from Kenya.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the update, pretty girl! I pray for you all
    the time. Keeping you always in my thoughts!
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continuing to pray for your health and strength! Blessings sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see a new note from you. Going through chemo myself, I do know the feeling of the Devil telling me I am weak, but what a good reminder that God is our strength and lives in us. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, Whitney! Thanks for posting these updates. Praising God for His love and care for you and for all the healing that He is bringing! You're in my prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How are you Whitney? I'm worry about you :-(
    Prayers from Montreal.
    With love, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whitney, hello. I would like you to know that it is difficult for me to read about you. I know how it feels, and how difficult it is when you have to put up a fight for dear life. I feel your pain and the anxieties that you bear, it is never easy. Battling a disease always pose a burden not only on the physical aspect, it also affects the well-being of the family’s coffer as medical costs can be prohibitive. Sometimes, it would lead us to think that somehow life can be unfair.
    But I would like to assure you that life is great and that you are not alone in this time of need. In reality, there are more people who want to help you and want to pitch in a little for your recovery than the actual number of people who actually do so. The reason for that is, either they don't know where to send it or who can keep it in trust, or they may be embarrassed about giving “little” donations and feel that small amounts do not mean much.
    I would like to share to you about a platform that can help and willing to extend assistance to people in need, even in most desperate situations. I am earnest in my offer to help, it may not be much, but at least, it is something that can help you tide things over. It also provides the avenue for people who are willing to give “little” amounts, thus answering the debacle: where should I put in my little contribution?
    Micro donations is the essence that propels Quarter-Back To Society, a charity organization whose principle is anchored on the belief that in helping other people, no amount is too small, nor an action is too little. By just donating 25 cents, the donee will feel that he has made a contribution in saving someone's life, and won’t even feel that something got out of his pocket. The amount is so small that even those who have never thought about charity will be able to donate. Big things start with small beginnings, in no time at all the required amount for medical expense shall have been reached before you even know it.
    Please feel free to add your own «causes» to the website quarter-back.org and let good-hearted people help you beat the disease. The healing will work both ways, for you and for your donees.
    Nonetheless, if you feel that you are not in need of any assistance for the time being, I would like to request you to tell your friends, subscribers and relatives about the Quarter-Back To Society. In so doing, you would be helping in saving someone else’s life.
    I wish you all the best and for your quick recovery. Be happy and stay positive always. Cheers!

    Sincerely, Irina.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Praying for you. My son age 40 has stage 4 colon cancer.I see how miserable he is after chemo.May God be with you and your family during this terrible journey . I am adding you to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete