Saturday, July 25, 2015

Chemo Break Update




Sorry I haven't posted in a few weeks! I have been super busy with my children, and loving every minute of it :). My Luke, who will be one in less than 3 weeks, does not like Mommy to have much computer time unless he is banging on the keyboard!

So I have been on chemo break for a month now. I had a few days where I was ready to take on the world, and then I quickly learned that I need to take things a bit slower. I'm beginning to have much more energy and I am feeling more like myself before chemo. I had a great follow up appointment on Wednesday. Nothing new happened of course, it was just a follow up, but I asked some questions I had been afraid to bring up before and I feel so much better after talking about it. I had been having some pain in my back and through my ribs for a couple of weeks, but it is gone now, so my doc feels sure that it is just from the chemo I was on. It does take quite a while for it to get out of your system, and also I carry Luke around all the time and he's heavy.

I asked if my situation has changed in the grand scheme of things since I first walked in the door and she said YES. I asked if my "5 years" was maybe looking like more and she said YES. I've responded really well to treatment and chemotherapy has come so far in the last 5 years, there will certainly be new improvements in the future. I know that God is my healer and I believe I am healed by His power. And I also know that only God knows when my life here will end...but it sure felt good to hear that from my oncologist that day. I have struggled while in that pain. Satan took the opportunity to attack and to be honest, I cried almost every time I looked at my children because all I could think about was things turning for the worst and having to leave them. There were moments when I felt like I had failed in my faith, but looking back, I don't believe that is true. I am human and we cannot comprehend God's understanding. I'm His and He knows my heart. He is mine, and I know He holds my future. What a comforting fact, right?

My cousin and I have been doing laps around the ballfield near my house. Today we decided to take on the Cooper River Bridge and we made it across and back! We got up early because we live an hour away, and walked a total of 5.5 miles. The view was beautiful and so was the experience. I'm certain we will be feeling that walk tomorrow! Also, my hair is growing super fast. I wake up every morning looking like a cockatoo and it's awesome. My sweet Taylor is getting ready to start the 1st grade, and my sweet Luke is beginning to take steps. I am so overwhelmed with how blessed I am! God is so good! He never ceases to amaze me with His grace. More soon :).


21 comments:

  1. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! His mercy endures forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Whitney! I'm so happy you are feeling so good and I admire you for getting on with normal activity in your life. You have inspired me to exercise and as usual, to trust in God to comfort and heal me. I found out last week that my breast cancer is now triple negative. This was devastating news to me as it limits my treatment options. But I am praying hard that my next round works and to try and live each day with much gratitude. Thank you for your post and many HUGS!!! Melissa R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear that Melissa and I am sending you lots of love and prayers! Stay strong my friend!

      Delete
  3. Yes!!! the first thing I noticed, was what you are sprouting on top of your head!!! Lookin' good!!!.......but I must say, girl, you really rock the bald look!!!
    Amen!!! to all your good news....please don't overdue. Be sure to get your rest. Enjoy the children and keep trusting in the one who is in control!!! He's got this!!!
    Prayers your way for continued good health!!
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful news! You look amazing!!
    Thank you for the update!
    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear you're feeling stronger! You have been such an encouragement to me . Enjoy your precious family and please keep us posted. you are in my prayers !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog a few months ago through a mutual friend, Heather Lambert. I have been reading whenever you come to mind. Your hair looks great!!! I am so happy that you are getting to savor these precious moments with your children. How AWESOME that you were able to walk on that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yeah Heather is my cousin :). Thanks fot reading!

      Delete
  7. So glad you are doing well and spending time with your family! You look great and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That`s amazing news! Our God is mighty to save. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Whitney , we are glad to see that Gods mercy has kept you well. we haven't heard from you in a while we keep praying for you we want to know how you're doing . we pray all is well God bless you !

    "without Jesus nothing else matters, with Jesus you need nothing else"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I used to live a couple miles from that bridge...definitely a fine spot to be when needing to take in the moment and appreciate life.

    ReplyDelete