Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Choice Is Yours



In life we get the impression that we have so much control.  We make plans and set goals at a young age that shape our futures.  Go to this school…get this job…buy this house.  We think we have control over our bodies.  Want to lose weight?  Diet and exercise.  Want muscle definition?  Work out.  Want a new hair style?  Pick one and go for it.  And then something like cancer comes in and tries to take over every aspect of your life and you have no say so whatsoever.  Your body betrays you.  You are deteriorating.  Suddenly, those goals you set for 5 years from now are simply just to be alive.  To make it.

It may seem like cancer has taken away any control you might have over your life, but the truth is…you do still have a choice.  You choose how you are going to handle this situation.  Yes, it might knock you down but you have the choice to get back up and keep fighting.  You are strong, you are courageous, you are fearfully and wonderfully made.  There are no impossibilities.  The same God that made this entire universe took the time to make YOU.  He adores YOU.  You are not just another statistic.  He’s going to help you get through this in one way or another, but YOU have to decide.  He wants you to choose to love Him, to accept Him.  He will not force you.

You cannot go through something such as cancer unchanged.  You do have a say so in how it changes you.  You can be bitter.  Or you can be blessed.  Spending the rest of my days being blessed sounds a lot better than spending them being bitter, don't you agree?

So I have big plans.  My goals from the beginning of this were to grow old with my husband and watch my children grow up.  I’m focusing on that and believing that will be given to me.  God has brought me so far since January.  Just 5 short months ago, when I looked in the mirror, I saw death.  Now, I see nothing but LIFE.  I see a promise.  I choose to believe in that promise.  I’m going to make it.

21 comments:

  1. Whitney, just seeing your pretty smile and positive outlook is an inspiriation in itself. You are beautiful on the inside and out. You've been through so much that would seemingly break anyone's spirit, but God would not allow that. The sharing of your journey and testimonies are truly heart warming. As I read each one, tears just stream down my face. I cry tears of joy knowing that God has given you an unshakable faith, tremendous hope, inspiring love, and His comfort. One of the best parts is knowing that the devil cannot steal any of this from you. We serve a wonderful God. It is amazing to know that God is bigger than anything we may have to face on earth. Even though you've already claimed your victory and we all know God has healed you, you and your family are constantly on my mind and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement!!

      Delete
  2. You are fabulous! Thank you for being a blessing to me. Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney- Your writing is beautifully crafted and absolutely inspiring. Yesterday our pastor spoke about God sometimes allowing us to be hurt for the purpose of strengthening us and showing His glory and power to conquer any trial. There are so many biblical examples of this, but you are a current and living example and I know your willingness to share is bringing so many closer to Christ. You are truly a blessing and I believe you are already and will continue to be victorious in this battle. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your faith is unbreakable.Your spirit shines, so bright, through your eyes, & your words. Stay strong, keep fighting for your life,God has got this. Many prayers & bessings for you & your loved ones .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement!!

      Delete
  5. Whitney, you are a comfort and inspiration to me as I read your words. God has a bigger plan then cancer for you. Your faith and courage is a blessing to anyone going through sickness . Continue to claim your healing. I am praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't touch this and neither can evil. We all love you. Prayers sent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mr Moye! Yall are awesome and I love yall too!!

      Delete
  7. Dear Whitney, and other friends who need healing: I was listening to Healing scriptures today (for my own healing from nerve problems and anxiety) and this one was very healing. May these words from God's Word and prayers bless you in your healing. It starts out saying that it is God's will to heal you:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjoakBVQ5Bw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, sister!

      Delete
  8. Whitney, you are so God filled and you touch so many with your words and actions. I have am autoimmune illness and have struggled with side affects of drugs I need to keep things 'okay'. I worry about what I don't look like any more but you are calling me back to focus on the me inside not on the outside. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Hi Whitney, your story is truly inspirational and your bravery in sharing it admirable. I am currently in the process of researching and validating a new service which would help mothers going forward in creating unique milestone farewells for their children after they are gone. I'd like your help if possible in giving me an insight into whether or not this is viable. If you are able to give me 15 minutes of your time I would love to chat about this further via Skype or email? I'm in the UK London please email me on zeleka@yourwhiteroom.com if interested

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning sweet friend! :) I'm in an online Bible study called "The Mended Heart" that started this week on Proverbs31. Anyway I skimmed forward in the book and the author was talking about how she got diagnosed with cancer when she was young and married and had little kids. On page 161 Suzie Eller writes: "All I had then was a fist full of fear and a doctors' diagnosis. My children were young. I was crazy in love with my husband. Life was chaotic and full and good. I was growing into God's view of me and had made peace with the past. When we received my prognosis (40% chance of surviving five years after treatment), life ground to a halt for two years as we juggled medical bills, my first major surgery, and then my second- plus chemo, radiation and endless doctor visits".
    I thought of you, and wondered if you have enough strength to either join the online study or get the book, or at least go to Suzie's website and see her story:
    http://tsuzanneeller.com

    Here's the online Bible study info:
    http://proverbs31.org/online-bible-studies/

    The Lord is STRONG even when you are weak. Love you!
    AMber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks wonderful! I will definitely check it out. Thank you so much for sharing! <3

      Delete